Monday, July 20, 2009

Corfu the beginning






Well I made it to Corfu. Our flight left from Baden Baden, Germany at 6am so we left the house in Strasbourg at 4 am which means we woke up at 3am and I went to bed at 1am...so yes I was exhausted. I was delighted to discover that when the wheels of the plane hit the ground Greek people clap! You know Kudos to the pilot. Well we got all of our luggage and found taxis and finally made it to the country house. S has been teaching me all about the different categories of homes on Greece. The "country house" in literally on the side of a mountain with a view of the island of Corfu, Corfu Town, outher mountains, and the Sea which is breathtaking. The house has three bedrooms two bathrooms a big open kitchen and living room two balconies and a wrap around patio all facing the sea. It's beautiful. The yars has lemon trees, actual lemon trees. When I was little My auntie Keeka and Uncle Bruce would play Peter Paul and Mary's song, Lemon Tree and I would wonder what one actually looked like. Well they are everywhere here. For dinner we just pick some off the tree and squirt the juice over the salad.
The beach near the house is like the beach in Nice. It has smooth rocks and the water is clear. I can look down and see my toes. The heat is strong and the water is cool. We went to a beach in the south yesterday which was sandy with big waves.
The Greek people are so different from the French. The French are reserved and oftentimes considered very rude. The Greek people are loud and open and inviting, the contrast is striking. I love it here. The food is very good as well. Lots of oil and garlic, olives from the trees that are everywhere. S and E know so many people that wherever we go we are constantly being invited here and there.
The Greek women are stunning, olive skinned long dark hair and confident. I have never seen women so confident. They way they walk and speak, dress it's awesome.
Out of all the places I have been this is where I could see myself buying a home. A summer "country" home perhaps. I love it here!

On a side note the girls are driving me crazy. I don't have a moments peace they are constantly annoying me. Next summer I will drag Alex back here with me.
I would love to post pictures but I am at a dirty smoky internet cafe where the computers don't allow you to put your own information on it, or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment